For many, stress has become an inevitable part of our daily lives. Elevated cortisol levels, commonly known as the stress hormone, can wreak havoc on our overall well-being. In this blog post, we will explore what causes elevated cortisol, natural remedies to manage it, and how chiropractic care can play a crucial role in regulating cortisol levels.
Causes of Elevated Cortisol
Several factors contribute to heightened cortisol levels, including chronic stress, lack of sleep, poor dietary habits, and sedentary lifestyles. When the body perceives a threat, the adrenal glands release cortisol, preparing the body for the “fight or flight” response. However, prolonged stress can lead to chronic elevation of cortisol, leading to various health issues.
Symptoms of Elevated Cortisol
Cortisol levels normally fluctuate throughout the day and night. People who are stressed constantly produce a high amount of circulating cortisol. Then the cortisol does not return to normal levels. Because of the stressors in our lives, our cortisol levels can stay surged, causing fatigue, heart disease, weight gain, indigestion/slow bowel movements, depression, memory impairment, and unhealthy skin. Adrenal fatigue sets in because the adrenal glands can no longer keep up with demand. Left untreated, the thyroid and sex hormones also become unbalanced.
Natural Remedies to Manage Cortisol:
- Regular Exercise: Engaging in regular physical activity is a powerful way to combat stress and regulate cortisol levels. Incorporating activities such as walking, jogging, or yoga into your routine can have a positive impact.
- Balanced Nutrition: A well-balanced diet rich in fruits, vegetables, lean proteins, and whole grains can support adrenal function and help manage cortisol levels. Avoiding excessive caffeine and sugar intake is also crucial.
- Adequate Sleep: Quality sleep is essential for cortisol regulation. Establishing a consistent sleep routine and creating a sleep-conducive environment can contribute to better overall health.
- Stress Management Techniques: Practicing stress-reducing techniques such as meditation, deep breathing exercises, humming, or mindfulness can help lower cortisol levels and improve mental well-being.
- Magnesium: Magnesium prevents excessive cortisol, lowers blood pressure, and lowers blood sugars through insulin control. It also helps promote more restful sleep. There are many over-the-counter magnesium supplements, sprays, and bath salts to help lower cortisol. Be sure to do your research.
Chiropractic Care for Cortisol Regulation
Chiropractic care focuses on maintaining the balance of the nervous system, which plays a key role in the body’s stress response. Misalignments in the spine, known as subluxations, can interfere with the nervous system’s function, leading to increased stress and cortisol production.
Dr. Justin Grabouski, Overland Park family chiropractor, uses gentle adjustments to realign the spine, promoting proper nerve function and reducing stress on the body. Research suggests that chiropractic care can positively influence cortisol levels, helping individuals better manage stress and its impact on their health.
Managing stress and cortisol levels is essential for overall well-being. While adopting natural remedies like exercise, nutrition, and stress management techniques is crucial, chiropractic care can provide an additional avenue for cortisol regulation. If you’re seeking a holistic approach to improving your cortisol, it’s time to schedule an appointment to see how your overall health and well-being can drastically improve.